Sunday, August 17, 2014

Sunday Update

Today didn't seem that busy, but yet here I am at 9:00 tonight wondering where the day went.

Last night we didn't get much sleep, between the post-surgery discomfort and pains, the nurses coming in to check vitals and give medications, and having to help Brandon get up and use the bathroom. We saw every hour and then some.

Today, he sat up a lot and we walked the halls a few times! Let me just tell you... between that sexy gown, and those smokin' hospital non-slip socks, I practically have to beat the nurses off of him with a stick as we loop the nurses' station. Add in the fact that his arms have splotches of hair missing from the nurses ripping wads of arm hair out from removing IV tape and I can barely keep myself from kissing him every 5 seconds! - insert laughter here - Because, if we didn't laugh sometimes, we'd cry.

But seriously, Brandon is doing great. He looks great, even though I've been giving him a hard time about his sexy hospital socks, he knows I'm kidding and just trying to lift his spirits. I'm so proud of him, because I know how much he still hurts and yet he's doing exactly as the doctors have ordered and he's up and moving trying to help things heal.

Brandon has to do these special breathing exercises 30 times each day to help prevent pneumonia, and he has to walk to help "wake up his intestines." I know he's weak from not eating for over a week, but he's been a champ. Even Vivian (remember Viv?!) told him he's been such a champ, that she wrote "CHAMP" on his whiteboard in his room where his name goes.

Drumroll...

Today Brandon got moved to soft foods! He was so excited to eat that as soon as the orders were entered into the computer, we got on the phone with dining services and got his tray ordered. He ate a few bites of mashed potatoes and mac and cheese, a bite of a biscuit, and a bite of a blueberry muffin. After that first bite of mashed potatoes, Brandon paused and let out an "oooooooooooooh, those are THE BEST mashed potatoes I've ever had!" and we shared a good laugh, because c'mon, they were hospital mashed potatoes.

Hopefully tomorrow his surgeon will come by and tell us what the plan is looking like from here but we do know that day 3 post surgery is the worst day. Please pray for Brandon tomorrow as his body goes through changes and pains that are supposedly really awful. His body is adjusting to and recovering from the trauma it underwent and now that we've introduced solid foods, it is going to wreak havoc on his poor insides. He is really nervous about how painful it will be so I know he will appreciate you praying for him as you think about him tomorrow.

I have to say that my list of people to thank is growing longer by the day, and that the encouragement I have received from our friends has been overwhelming. Your sweet words have helped keep our spirits high and we love you.

A sweet friend sent me this video this morning and I want to share it with all of you. It is beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment