Monday, August 18, 2014

Our Very Own Rainbow

Tonight I took the kids to visit Brandon at the hospital. I was excited to learn that on Monday nights, the volunteers bring dinner for guests of patients so our dinner was provided! What a nice surprise!

After the free dinner, things just went south. Brandon started to really not feel good and Paxton was irritable from not having a full nap today. Maverick is cutting a molar and was NOT excited so needless to say, we didn't stay long and told daddy goodbye so we could get home and he could get some rest.

When we got down to the lobby, I looked outside and saw that it was pouring down rain. Not just raining... the heavens absolutely let loose and it was pouring! I decided we would walk the length of the hospital and go out the far doors so we could walk on the bridge that was covered the entire way to the parking deck. We were almost out the second set of sliding doors when the biggest bolt of lightning and loudest crack of thunder I'd ever heard snapped right in front of us. Paxton turned around and bolted back inside and I'm pretty sure I came off the ground a few inches.

Twenty minutes later, I finally convinced Paxton to exit the building, even though it was still storming and we clutched hands while we scurried to the parking deck. I told him how brave he was all the way to the car and all the way down the road. Halfway home, the skies in front of me were bright and sunny - even though it was still raining - and behind me was black. I looked over my left shoulder and saw the biggest and brightest rainbow I'd ever seen. I immediately got Paxton's attention and he looked in awe as I realized this was the first real rainbow he had seen.

"Paxton, do you see that rainbow?!"

"Mom! Its our own rainbow!!! Just for us!"

It was so beautiful and so timely, I was down with claiming it for ourselves too!

Then he said, "Look at that Mom! What do you think it is? I think its God!"

It seems a little cliche, but I can't make this stuff up. With the storm and the hospital in my rearview mirror, and a rainbow and the sunshine in front of me, I couldn't help but think about how that's how things are looking these days... storm behind us, sunshine and rainbows up ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment