Monday, June 9, 2014

Father's Day Thank You

Father's Day Thank You


In the spirit of Father's Day coming up, I thought I would share a little thank you to the amazing guy my sons call Dad.

I remember that night - the first night - and how it felt like the catalyst. The catalyst to something greater, but something I couldn't quite see clearly yet. The night air was crisp and I saw the lights of the football stadium like pinpoints all around. You were calm and collected and I was a warm ball of nerves. I knew it was the beginning, and I was so excited I could barely stand it.

Fast forward several years, 1 wedding, 2 states and 2 apartments and a house later and there I was, trembling again. This time hovered in the bathroom of our perfect little first house, our home, so early that it was still dark out. I was pacing back and forth the length of the bathroom and when the 3 minutes was finally up, I took a deep breath and finally let myself look. Two lines and a very loud squeal! I remember being so upset with myself because I had planned to tell you with a pair of UNC booties - size 1 of course - and a note from the baby, but instead, here I was, squealing and giggling and flinging myself on top of the bed, waking you up before the sun because I just couldn't contain my excitement. We were going to have a BABY! I don't think I'll soon forget the laughing and crying and hugging and kissing each other that morning.

I'll never forget the day you became a dad for the first time, or how you've so tenderly fathered our sons since that first day.

I hope I also never forget today... the moment where I stood over the kitchen counter, fingers slimy and sticky from pulling the last remnants of chicken off of the bones of the rotisserie chicken, listening to that beautiful small voice outside calling out "Dad, Dad, wait up! I can help you!"And by "help you" he means that he'll chase you around with his toddler sized mower, calling out your name, and interrupting the real business of mowing the grass over and over. By "help you", he means that he'll make the process take about twice as long, and you'll have to worry about him getting near the road, or too close to the real mower, or trying to wield your weed eater in the confines of the garage. You'll do your best to read his lips, since you can barely hear his little voice over the sound of the mower, and he's desperately desperately trying to get your attention.

I hope the chicken isn't too salty, because I couldn't help myself from crying over the counter listening to the beautiful relationship that is father/son through the kitchen window. If I have become numb to it lately, shame on me, for it is far to beautiful to overlook. I started writing this post in my head as I separated chicken from bone and looked for a matching tupperware lid.

I know we laugh about how much you don't get a break because there's a 3 year old clinging to your back, or climbing over your legs, or trying to get you in a headlock, but cherish it, because I know is is a fleeting moment in time. In just 10 short years, our son will be almost 14, and that will mean that he'll probably feel too cool to want to wrestle with you, and he'll be long done with the days of a tickle fest. In 10 years, he won't scramble quite as fast to find his shoes to play ball outside, and he'll probably be done with wanting you to sleep with him "for a lil while" at night.

I watch him eagerly await your consent to play ball with him, and giggle to myself when I see him do things exactly like you do. Like when he marched out of our room the other day right behind you saying "See Dad, I have basketball shorts just like you, and a basketball shirt just like you too!" I enjoy listening to you explain things to our son, and watching the wheels turn in his little mind.

So this is my Father's Day thank you to you, Brandon. Thank you for loving our sons and for committing to molding them into caring, loving, considerate your men, just like you. My challenge to you, in the sometimes difficult days of parenting a toddler, is to clamor at the feet of Our Father, to learn and seek wisdom, in the same way that our sons clamor for your attention, ready to learn and soak up everything you have to teach them. These days will soon vanish and be but a whisper of a memory, so here's to putting aside the less important things, and focusing on the 2 young men who carry your namesake.

Happy Father's Day, my love. Know that you are abundantly loved.


No comments:

Post a Comment