Sunday, November 1, 2009

The fair comes to town!

Last year was my first year ever going to the State Fair. I'm a sucker for funnel cakes so off we went...

After going last year I spent approximately 364 days looking forward to this year's fair! I don't eat fried foods, mostly because I get yelled at by my pancreas if I do (that's a story for another day), but also because for every bite of fried goodness I eat, I'm busy calculating how many miles that means I'll have to run. Anyhoo, the State Fair is the one time of year that I actually want to eat fried foods. And let me tell you this, if you like it normally, you'll love it fried, and the State Fair's got it.
Yep. Deep fried ANYTHING. You probably can't see it in that picture but this stand has a halo and angels around it. Nah, just kidding, but there is a HUGE crowd of people trying to get in line to get fat...er... I mean, get a fried "something-yummy-on-a-stick." Brandon and I tried the fried Snickers bar this year and yes it was so good we went back for a second one! In case you've never seen a "fried-goodness-on-a-stick" as I like to call it, here is Brittney eating hers. And yes the reason we don't have a picture of us eating our TWO "fried-goodness-on-a-stick" is because they were gone THAT FAST!


Among other fried goods were other assorted candy bars, mac-n-cheese, cheesecake, pecan pie (which is on my list for next year), pickles, veggies, cheeseburgers (yes cheeseburgers! battered and fried my friends, battered and fried!!) and of course, my favorite funnel cakes!

Here is Stu's fried cheeseburger... one of the few things in life that prompts me to say "yummy and gross."


Here's my funnel cake stand!

Ok, I promise we did more than eat while we were there... although that was the main reason we went. We went with Cole and Brittney and Corben, and Stu (the intern at church) and Jenna, Cole's sister. We saw some giant bunnies, kinda cute, kinda scary. We saw some animals and some best-in-show fruits and veggies, including GIANT pumpkins and watermelons. We kindly refused all of the "fattest-woman-in-the-world" and "snake-woman" and "two-headed-lamb" exhibits as guilt steered us away. I mean really, I had no desire to pay fifty cents to go in and look at a fat woman who gets pointed at all day. Nightmares of carnies filled my head...

Anyways, here are some pictures of our adventures at the fair!

In the parking lot, before even entering the gates!

This is our "I'm-so-excited-I-finally-get-to-eat-a-funnel-cake" look... and someone's grandma, just not ours...


Me and my precious nephew, Corben!

No comments:

Post a Comment